Sunday, November 20, 2011

The challenge Landscape

I'd like to tell you a little about this challenge before I show you the finished project. I am a member of Valerie Hearders Landscape group on yahoo and she sent out the invitation to sign up for this challenge , she showed us a picture of a piece of fabric she would send each person who was up for the challenge and the rules were simple , we had to make a landscape using at least part of this fabric for the sky and or water and we had to change the look of that fabric with the use of coloured pencils .Sounded easy enough so even though my cup runnith over I did sign up and did receive that fabric in a very short time .Here is that fabric .
I placed it on my design wall for a while and tried to think how I was going to use it and where ,the piece of fabric was not real big so I also knew I could not afford to make a mistake as there was no more to work with so I planned and planned some more .I then went into Picasa where I store all my photos and in doing so there it was the perfect inspiration for this piece of fabric , I knew immediately this was the one .Now to actually decide how to interpret that onto fabric is a totally different thing and I don't ever try to do it exact that would be impossible so this is a loose interpretation of this picture , do you want to see it , if not look away now .
Showing this may not be a good idea as my landscape is not a match just a slight interpretation .I used coloured pencils in shades of three different browns, orange , peach ,yellow and greens along with some thread work which I wish I could have done more of but again I didn't want to risk ruining it and not have any fabric to start over .So here is my finished landscape , I also hummed and hawed over what to do for a border and after trying out different fabrics this was my final choice and I think it works .
 So another challenge is complete and now I must really concentrate on both Christmas and the crazy patch block challenge ,so much to do and so little time ,story of my life . Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful Sunday . Hugs Sheila

13 comments:

  1. I really like how this landscape turned out Sheila.I have thought about pencil crayons but have never used them. I will have to give it a try. Do you find any one brand better than another for fabric??
    Thanks for sharing, enjoy your warm er day (-27 before any windchill ... I think I'll do some quilting today brrrr)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila your landscape looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful, SHeila! I think you did a great job. I need to try something like this someday, but not until after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love it. It definitely looks like the original :)
    What pencils do you use?
    I fancy giving it a go myself - you have inspired me - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet! Great job : ) My favorite pencil to use is a white chalk marking pencil.

    ~Monika : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. The landscape looks fabulous. I think you did a wonderful job. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you did a fantastic job on it. I had to look twice to see which one was the original...lol!
    Seriously.. it's FANTASTIC ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love any landscape you do Sheila, you seem to have a real knack for interpreting the elements of nature.. I wouldn't have even dared do this challenge with such a tiny piece of material!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your landscape looks amazing! Wow :-) great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your landscape is amazng, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, Shelia, that is awesome. You did a great job recreating that landscape. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your landscape! I can see why you chose the border fabric as it makes it seem like you're viewing a wonderful scene out of rain covered glass. Nice!

    ReplyDelete