Monday, April 30, 2012

Weekend progress

Although I didn't get a lot of sewing done over the weekend I did manage to finish off my sample piece for the workshop . This candle mat was designed by Annette of In Stitches and Seams and is a real fun project to make . I have another in stages that I will also finish up real soon .
Now you may have realized by now that I enjoy making things from basically what  most would toss , I must be cheap ;-) Well this project gives you scraps that are not exactly straight and far from uniform in shape however I took the time to sew them together and made this mug rug , the good part about this is it gave me a chance to try some more FMQ , Not so sure you can see it but there is a raw edged appliqued flower which I did entirely free motion then echo quilted around it and added a few leaves , I love doing those leaves .
 I know I should have chosen a different fabric for the flower it blends in too much but I was determined to just use up those fabrics . Now some of  the gals who took the class passed their scraps to me as I also save the unusable pieces to eventually make a dog bed , I have an old pillowcase just about full now with odds and ends of scraps . Hey it will make Luke really happy and better than giving it to the landfill .
  I have been playing along with Rana and doing the BOM with the autumn theme , to check it out just click on the pumpkin icon on my sidebar , it would be easy to catch up and I think it is a fun project but then I love anything fall.  I am all caught up now and like how this is looking , what do you think ? Dear hubby said "it isn't my thing" oh well can't please him everytime .
 I will have to say it was tough to cut through those stars , didn't want to mess them up but they look interesting in their new setting .
 Finally I did the fourth block in Pam Buda's Pocket Patchwork  little sew along , I still have some catching up to do with this one as it is time to add some sashings , I was so glad I had enough of the black to make that final block as I was not able to find anything similar ,wonder how this will all go together .
I don't use a lot of black and I have had this fat quarter so long I have no idea where or when I got it and I do love it in these blocks.
 We had some heavy frost over night that I believe was detrimental to the health of my Rhododendron blossoms , they had started to open on Sat. and now look all wilted , such a shame . It is a cool but sunny day here on the east coast , hope the sun is shining in your neck of the world. Thanks for stopping by and come again real soon.
 hugs Sheila

12 comments:

  1. Your projects look great Sheila.
    I like all of them, and your FMQ mat is wonderful...nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila, I always love to read about what you are doing! That Fall project is gorgeous and those stars that were cut are priceless in their new setting! Love your patchwork blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects Sheila. The autumn one would be high on MY list. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another scrap lover.... we should have our own club... love your candlemat and your man and I have opposite tastes because I love your autumn one...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many wonderful things! Beautiful scrappies. Waste not, want not! I started the pumpkin BOM. but I never made it past the pumpkin. I love how it's turning out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. boy you have a lot of lovely projects there Sheila,well done and i hope your beloved rhodedrendron still flowers.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous project! Following you from a blog hop, would love a follow back at http://sassyshopperreviews.blogspot.com/p/sassy-blog-hop.html Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of your scraps Sheila.
    You have keep busy with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have so many lovely projects completed and on the go. I particularly love the autumn one, something about orange pumpkins!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great projects Sheila, I'm like you...I love to use every little scrap! Your pumpkin topper is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. nothing wrong with using up your scraps, I just went through my scrap box looking for pieces of my favourite fabrics for hexies. Glad I hadn't thrown them away.
    Love the pumpkin, must have been hard to cut those star blocks, they do look beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's great to use up your scraps. I need to do that more before they take over my sewing space ;-) I like your autumn piece, that turned out quite nice.

    ReplyDelete