Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Postcard parade and Tuesdays Treasures

Where do you get inspiration? Well for me it can happen just about anywhere and at anytime . I was admiring some beautiful blocks that my friend Lesley of Cuddle Quilter fame was making recently and the light bulb came on .Lesley is making blocks using a fabric which has vintage Christmas photos , they are down right gorgeous and my immediate reaction was I have several Christmas cards /postcards that are very vintage , not sure of the year but they would date back at least 50, perhaps more .These cards came from my husbands great aunt Bessie , I know I have mentioned her many times before , she was a special lady and when she passed away over 20 years ago  we inherited some of  her things and among them were these cards ,I often will display them at Christmas simply because I love them . My treasure for today are these cards not only for their beauty but for the memory of Bessie and the inspiration they provided for the projects I am about to show you. First are the cards .
 Sorry for the poor photo , it is a rainy day here and the lighting is dreadful . So now that I have your curiosity peaked here is what I have made using these cards ,no cards were harmed in this little project :-)
 Again sorry for the lighting but perhaps if you click on it you can see it better .
On with the next one...
and the next...
This card was one of the worst ones for wear but I love it so did it anyway .
and the next one...
Some jingle bells to greet you ...
What is Christmas without a stocking or two.
Love this little scene ...
A little difficult to see this one..
and the next one...
This is the final one for today , so much fun to make and super easy too . I used colorfast ink jet fabric sheets by June Tailor in my printer and was pleased at how lovely they turned out . I have a few more to do but thought I would share these for today . I am just starting back to sewing and this was for me the perfect way to get going , postcards are such fun and these have inspired me to make many more :-) I am linking up today to Melody of the House on the Side of the Hill our Tuesdays Treasures hostess .
Another treasure I  received in the mail today was these gorgeous water color paintings by Pauline of Phoenix Heirlooms, she was sweet enough to send these to me when she knew I was not feeling well ,Thank you so...... very much Pauline , I love them and you are certainly a very talented lady !!My photo does not do them justice at all .If you are not familiar with Pauline's blog be sure you stop by , she does some incredible work both by machine and a paint brush so stop on over here and say hello and tell her I sent you  .



Thanks for stopping by and have yourself a lovely day.Oh I want to say that those that have been or are being affected by that dreadful storm Sandy , my thoughts and prayers are with you , it is unbelievable the destruction this massive storm has caused . It is heading our way but we are going to be getting the tale end of it and it will likely just be a wind and rain event .
 hugs Sheila

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I adore your postcards...you are brilliant to think of copying your vintage postcards onto fabric. Love this idea and thank you so much for sharing it. I have just ordered some of the June Tailor transfer sheets...many quilters speak very highly of these. So lovely that you received some works of art from Pauline, and really wonderful that you are feeling better. Love all your Tuesday Treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great Sheila! I've used this colorfast printable fabric in memory quilts; it works just wonderful!! I love how you've worked your favorite cards into this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fabric postcards are beautiful. I love vintage postcards and have a few myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your postcards are all very beautiful. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post cards are real treasures and such a great idea to preserve them in fabric...beautiful watercolors too. I do hope you are on the mend Sheila.Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome to see you back and feeling better. I love your postcards so much. Great idea! I might have to dig out some heirloom postcards that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love how you have preserved those lovely vintage cards... what a great idea. I'm also very gld to hear you are feeling well enough to do some sewing....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. what beautiful vintage cards,you are so clever and they look fantastic,enjoy your day Sheila.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful way to preserve your vintage Christmas cards! Glad to hear you are feeling better. Everyone loves the little pounced quilt you made me. Thank you again for the treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun postcards...love the one with the bells!!! Happy you are feeling better and thanks for sharing Sheila!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Sheila those are just lovely..... you have done a great job with them and probably will get orders for more. Sew glad to hear you are feeling a wee bit better and that the storm has not gotten your area I sure hope it blows itself out soon.
    take care
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea the fabric cards are just beautiful! Thank you for sharing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cards are fabulous! What a great idea! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What special postcards you've created! That's a great way to get started sewing again. I hope that you feel 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete