Sunday, January 11, 2015

FNWF Report

                                                        Everyone is WelcoMe

Oops , I am a little late reporting my stitching for Friday Night with Friends hosted by Cheryll . I actually stitched both Thursday evening along with my Aussie friends then again on Friday evening with all the rest of us on this time zone  .
 On Thursday I was stitching up some more of those scraps , I had come across some triangles that were paired together in both red/ beige check and green/ beige check  so what is a girl to do but sew them together to create something useful right ;-)  Here is what I made ...
I know this fabric is at least ten or more years old and I was pleasantly surprised to find just enough of the red to make this border , I will bind it in green ,not the same fabric but close enough . you make do when you are dealing with old scraps . I love the beige check it has a country flavour to it and I am a country girl at heart .
 On Friday evening I decided to sit and stitch some of the binding on my quilt that has been waiting for so long .
I have two sides done and part of the third , I am however experiencing a problem . I love this quilt and wanted it to be extra warm so I chose to use a real alpaca batting , right off the animal and I think I am allergic to it , I get pretty stuffed up just stitching this , the fibres are everywhere so I really don't think I am going to be able to use this on my bed . You can read about this quilt and how we used the alpaca batting here  . I am so disappointed as we quilted this at the church and it is so cosy and warm but obviously a problem for me . Loving these binder clips my friend gave me a few years ago , thanks Diane , they work well .
 Thanks for stopping by today and welcome to those who stopped by via Cheryll .
 Hugs Sheila

21 comments:

  1. Nice finish you made with your scraps...
    Oh what a shame you are allergic to the alpaca wadding after all your work..

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad that you're allergic! I'd offer to take it off your hands, but since I'm allergic to wool, I guess this isn't the quilt for me. Right now would be the perfect time to snuggle under it and sew binding, that's for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about that, hope you can gift it to someone special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How frustrating that you wont be able to use your lovely quilt after working so hard on it.
    Love your little mat.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Christmas scrappy is so cute! What a shame to hear about the alpaca batting, especially as the quilt was to be a special one for you. I hope you can find a loving home for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous quilt you have used the alpaca batting in. I followed your link for a peek at the batting... it looks so cuddly and warm. Such a shame that you are having an allergic reaction to it. Your little scrap project is really pretty too xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be a shame if you are allergic to your beautiful quilt, after all that work! If you wash it when the binding is done, I wonder would that help?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awful about the alpaca batting. Do you have other allergies? I'm just wondering, you said you took the batting "right from the animal" ... Is it possible that there is something in the batting that might wash out and allow you to keep the quilt?

    Just guessing since you did not say how much processing the batting went through.

    Your little runner is adorable....very cheery; the check fabric is a nice touch.

    Happy stitching,

    Sherry V.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great save of those scraps. they made a lovely topper.
    Shame about the batting. I didn't know they made alpaca batting?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never heard of alpaca batting, and I'm sorry to hear you can't get along with it. It must be very luxurious; I have an alpaca sweater that I love. I agree about using the tan fabric in your red/green work; it's gentle and adds a nice country touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear of your reaction to the batting. Alpaca is such a gorgeous wool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no that is awful that you are allergic to the batting. Love your little topper. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. How can that be??? That is terrible as I am sure it must feel amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would be heart-breaking to put so much work into a project and then not be able to use it due to an allergy. But perhaps you can gift it knowing that it will keep someone else warm with the love you've sewn into it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely to make something useful from your scraps but such a shame about the alpaca! And after all that work too. I suppose it will make a special gift for someone now? xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Sheila, your Christmas scrappy is so lovely!! Alpaca is such a gorgeous wool....
    Hugs, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  17. don't give up on the quilt just yet. If you were able to work on it quilting you might still be able to use it after it is bound and there are no more loose fibers floating around to touch you skin and nose. Great use of the scraps. I will have to tackle some of mine when we get back home.
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on another nice scrap quilt! Oh, I'm sorry about your reaction to the alpaca, that must be a huge disappointment for you. You might try washing the quilt and then see how you react to it? I've had some fiber in the past that must have had chemicals put on it that I reacted to, but after I washed it I could work with it with no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely finishes Sheila. Nice to stitch with you...I am so behind in blog reading xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your little Christmas scrappy project! Sorry to hear about the allergic reaction...you must be so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete