Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Eunice and the Splendid Sampler

The winds are howling here and the rain is coming but heck the temperatures are at least 30 degrees warmer than yesterday so no complaints .
Have you joined in the Splendid Sampler with Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson ? If not you are missing out on a lot of fun , there are now over 13,000 quilters worldwide taking part , how awesome is that . The blocks are just 6.5" and they will be providing us with two blocks per week , one on Sundays and one on Thursdays for a year and a total of 100 blocks , what is stopping you . There are over 80 designers who are participating and providing blocks as well as bonus projects . The first bonus project was given to us by Jane and it is awesome to say the least . A combination of a mini design board and an ironing station if we wish to use it for that purpose , it also has a pocket for the 6" ruler we will need for this project . Want to see mine ?


 Here it is all closed up and you can see the pocket is on the outside for the ruler  plus a tie made from the ribbon that was wrapped around a FQ bundle . Now for the inside .
On the right is a bonus block from Pat and on the left is the first block in this Sampler , designed by Pat  and called Hearts a Flutter . There are three layers of batting in the folder providing a great ironing surface on the right  and of course the batting on the left is perfect when laying out the pieces for the blocks . 

I have so many projects on the go , sometimes it is hard to keep my head on straight  but since I have been doing a lot of sitting , hand projects are very welcome and I just had to join in with Darlene of the Needle Pulling Thread Shop , She is providing a wooly BOM called Eunice and I love wool so it was a no brainer .
A cute little project but apparently my sheep looks more like a tree lol . I used a grey sweater that I felted for this purpose , I just liked the texture and I also didn't have any white wool ;-)  I cheated on the wood pile , couldn't see me cutting those tiny circles so I cut it out in one piece and stitched around to suggest logs ,I think it worked well enough . 
Oh I also have an update on my Craftsy BOM , I have this months segment completed , thankfully , it was a fair amount of work so I had to spread that out over a couple of weeks . I must say I have really learned to be organized and use the leader and ender system to accomplish these blocks , it saves me time , energy and works so well . Just stack them up and pick them up and start stitching , so easy and so fun .
Now although those stars are lined up next to the middle section of the quilt that is not where they will end up , this month we were to make eight stars and the dogtooth border as well as add that green border but the stars will be set aside until later on . I am loving this so far even though it is very much out of my normal colour range except for the red which I love !! I had chosen  colours from the fabric I bought for the border which is a large floral and has these colours in it . Wonder how my sister is making out , must check and see how she is doing .
Well folks that is it for me today , thanks so much for stopping by , hope the weather is being kind to you where ever you are . 
Hugs Sheila 

17 comments:

  1. Hmmmm......says my comment was published but I haven't left any yet? If one has appeared can you delete it please Sheila? It was left on another blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sampler block & folder. I was given a lovely block keeper at Christmas so i'll use it rather than making this one. The sheep is gorgeous. Love the idea for the wood. I think i'd have done the same. :) Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness you are busy!!! Beautiful block for your new project and block keeper. I think your sheep looks like a sheep...nice and cuddly!! Good idea with the wood heap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila, you always amaze me with how many beautiful projects you complete! Love that project holder and Zeunice is adorable. Yay you for such great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Sheila...it's going to be fun....I hope lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your heart block looks great, but I love your fluffy sheep. That is the perfect solution for the logs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sheila ,wow you have made a great start,i love your heart,this SAL should be heaps of fun xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. sew I see you have been busy... all caught up too with the BOM Great job Sheila. I love the wool work to I have checked out the blog for the patterns. Take it easy and do not over do it. hugs and stitches

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trying again!

    I like your first block, and the design board is a great idea. You haven't been idle this week, the BOM is coming along very well too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little wool block is adorable - a tree? Well I think your wooly sheep is cute. I could be tempted with the Splendid Sampler but as we are still and Spain and will be for another 10 days I am going to be so far behind by the time I get going I know I would never catch up! Instead, and as I don't need another large project anyway, I thought I would just choose my favourite blocks and use those to make a Christmas table runner - something I could do with AND I have plenty of Christmas fabrics! Keep warm Sheila - I won't tell you how lovely it is here! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Splendid Sampler folder and your hearts a flutter block! Great start Sheila! It is amazing how many quilters are taking part.... great fun! Your sheep is adorable... I love the grey wool and the logs look perfect! You are very busy with the Craftsy BOM as well... that is also looking fabulous! Have a good week! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your folder looks great and lovely first block..
    I hear you about too many projects on the go! I just need to work on one and finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have been busy, looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how your Craftsy BOm is looking and the new one Spendid sampler one looks great

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are certainly keeping busy, Sheila! And I sure am loving all of your projects. You do sew well to stay sew organized. As usual, I'm all over the place, and have little to show for it! Stay warm, stay safe, and above all else, stay sweet! XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are getting a lot of handwork done Sheila and with beautiful results too! Eunice is very cute - not like a tree at all! I am tempted by the Splendid Sampler; have downloaded the first blocks but have so much I'm trying to do....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for mentioning the Splendid Sampler, now I have another thing to add to my list...lol. Love your projects...all of them.

    ReplyDelete